Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Elton John at the Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN

Friday, April 5th, 2013
Elton John
Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN
$42

In probably 2004 or 2005, Elton John came through Nashville with Billy Joel. They played at the now-named Bridgestone Arena, and at the time, the nosebleed seats were almost $80. So reluctantly, I decided that I just wasn't able to justify such an expensive price tag on such a crappy seat. It sucked, but that's how it was.

So this year, when I saw that Elton John was coming back to town, I was extremely excited to see that the nosebleeds were now only $35 and that I was able to go. Of course I would have loved to be up close and personal for the show, but I just didn't want to spend upwards of $250 for one of those seats! Such are the perils of being a fan of a mega star, I guess! But I was still very excited to be able to see him at all since I've been a fan pretty much all of my life.

When the day came, I ended up taking advantage of a free parking lot that my mom told me about that was just across the street from the venue, and provided a round trip shuttle to the venue for just $3. My mom and cousin Marie were going to the show too, and by chance we had ended up with seats just one section apart. I also ran into my friend Tammy briefly, though I didn't see her again once we were seated.

When it was time for the show to begin, there were no openers, just like at last year's Roger Waters show. Elton John is such an incredibly famous living musical legend that it was pretty cool to be able to able to see him perform. He spent the entire show pounding away at his piano, then getting up to bow to the audience after each song. I won't pretend like I know every single Elton John song ever, but I did recognize almost all of the songs he sang. He sang all of my favorites...Tiny Dancer, Daniel, I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues, Candle in the Wind and Your Song, as well as many, many others that fall in line below those, like Rocket Man, The One, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Bennie and the Jets and Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me.

P1000091

P1000093

P1000108

P1000111

P1000119

P1000131

P1000138

P1000150
If you listen closely to this photo, you will hear the sound of thousands of white people clapping in unison to a beat

Every song that he sang, he sang with such a passion...it's tough to even believe that Elton John is 66 years old! I loved this show, despite being pretty far away. I didn't feel like the distance detracted too much from this show since everyone was sitting down the entire time, and he didn't move around the stage at all while he was actually performing. It was a great show, and I was very glad that I was able to finally see him live after being a fan for so long!

P1000153

When he was done performing, he went up to the edge of the stage and started to sign autographs. All the people from the first 6 or 7 rows came up to the front with their various items, and Elton slowly but surely made his way around to every person who was asking for an autograph. It took quite a while, but that was awesome that everyone up there (who had paid multiple hundreds of dollars for those seats) were able to get their stuff signed.


After the show was done, we headed back out and easily caught our shuttle back to the parking lot across the river (Note to self: Use this service again!).

Since I'm four shows behind at this point, I'm gonna try to get all four online as quickly as I can...so bear with me here...

No comments:

Post a Comment